Got a Job? Get a Work Permit! It’s the Law.

To protect the safety of Illinois teenagers, and place of priority on their education, minors age 14 or 15 may work, but not without first obtaining an Employment Certificate from their local high school or school administration office 820 ILCS 2059/9-12. If you are over 16 the State of Illinois does not require a Work Permit, but your employer may still request one.

To Obtain a Work Permit from ROE 19 DuPage: Check first if your school district issues work permits. If not, please call 630.407.5800.

For Minors 15 and under:

  • Letter of intent: a statement of intention to employ signed by the prospective employer, stating nature of work and approximate hours and number of days minor shall be employed each week. The letter of intent should be on company letterhead and must include address, phone number, and name of a supervisor.
  • Evidence of age: a birth certificate (original), or certification of baptism
  • A current physical fitness form signed by a physician certifying that the minor is fit to perform the job in question (must be within the last year)
  • Original Social Security Card
  • Child present with parent/guardian and present a valid state issued ID or driver’s license
  • Per Child Labor Law: Requiring that a child performer in an artistic or creative service have a trust fund set up in their name where 15% of their gross earnings will be deposited

More information can be found at: 

For additional required procedures, information, and exceptions: click here.