The Northern Illinois School Safety Administrators Association (NISSAA) formally incorporated in December to focus collectively and collaboratively on school safety. The not-for-profit association includes school administrators from northern Illinois school districts as well as law enforcement and fire emergency responders from local, county, state and federal agencies.
The association evolved from the work of the DuPage School Safety Task Force and grew from the desire of safety officials to exchange work related concepts. The DuPage Regional Office of Education will serve as the fiscal agent, and Assistant Regional Superintendent of Operations, Dr. Michael Robey, has been named treasurer of NISSAA. Other supporting agencies include the College of DuPage and Tressler LLP.
NISSAA will work in conjunction with the DuPage County School Safety Task Force in supporting the efforts of area school districts, first responders and local government to enhance the safety for students.
“These pioneering districts and government agencies will share information to cooperatively secure our schools,” shared Dr. Robey. “The DuPage Regional Office of Education supports these efforts.”
NISSAA will focus on the following objectives:
- To provide the means whereby those engaged in the safety programs of the schools of the state of Illinois can meet, discuss and study all phases of school safety.
- To cooperate with any organization for the betterment of school safety.
- To strive constantly for the highest standards of efficiency and effectiveness in safety methods and practices.
- To work for the improvement of qualifications of school safety officials.
- To strive for the improvement of school safety.
- To promote and encourage any legislation which is necessary for the foregoing objectives.
The elected board includes:
- President John Heiderscheidt, Elgin U 46
- Vice President Carter Larry, Valley View 365 U
- Treasurer Michael Robey, DuPage ROE
- Secretary Valarie Patterson, Oswego 308
- Liaison Kevin Triplett, West Aurora 12